Industrial processes and plants increasingly experience concern about potential incidents that can affect people, assets and the environment in and outside the plant. A safety instrumented system (SIS) can dramatically reduce the risk of accidents in your plant.
ANSI/ISA-S84.00.01-2003, (IEC 61511 Mod), Application of Safety Instrumented Systems for the Process Industries, (called IEC 61511 / ISA 84) addresses the application of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) to take a process to a safe state when predetermined conditions are violated, such as set points for pressure, temperature, level, etc. Its objective is to define requirements for SISs. SISs are also called Emergency Shutdown Systems, Safety Shutdown Systems, and Safety Interlock Systems. SISs provide safety control functions and complement the Basic Process Control System (BPCS) which provides normal process control.
The IEC 61511 / ISA 84 standard addresses the entire life cycle for SISs. Compliance with the standard requires significant effort.
KTT has a unique process to design and implement ISA84/IEC 61511-compliant industrial safety instrumented systems. We integrate intimate knowledge and experience in PHA/LOPA along with control system hardware and field instrumentation to ensure that Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs) are clearly defined.
In addition to industrial safety instrumented systems, KTT works with clients in all aspects of the process safety lifecycle. We understand that critical decisions made in the analysis phase have significant impacts later in the lifecycle, and we will help you reduce the financial risk of late discoveries on your capital projects. Our full understanding of the process safety lifecycle prevents rework, saves time, and produces a more effective safety program, resulting in an overall cost savings to you.
- Smart SIS - Optimized process reliability. An integrated approach to the entire safety instrumented function – from sensor, to logic solver, to final element – shuts down when needed for safety, but keeps you running safely when components fail.
- Modular Distributed Architecture - Flexibility to meet your project needs. Able to handle the smallest to the largest application, with flexibility to address widely distributed architectures because applications that require risk reduction come in all sizes and topologies.
- Integrated but Separate - Increased visibility into your process. As an integrated control and safety system, SIS provides the benefits of total integration of engineering, maintenance and operations, but with physical separation for control and safety.
- Certified Function Blocks - Reduced engineering and complexity. Provides powerful functionality out of the box, eliminating complex, custom programming and enabling a consistent approach throughout all safety applications
- Built for IEC 61511 Compliance - Simplified safety lifecycle management. Designed to enable easy compliance with the IEC61511 international standard, lowering the upfront costs of engineering, installing and commissioning as well as ongoing maintenance and management costs